Amazing Trumbull County 911 Police
UFO Chase Recordings


911 Tapes
Trumball County Disturbance

Data: 1996-99
From the late Kenny Young website. Kenny was a regular visitor to Sightings on the Radio and contributor to the Sighitngs website. This great case is presented in memory of a great UFOlogist and sorely missed friend.

What is the Trumbull County Disturbance?

This incident is a remarkable UFO situation happening in 1994 near Youngstown, Ohio. The case involved the pursuit of a low-flying object by numerous police officials from a wide area. One officer approached the object at close range, saying it 'lit up the ground as if daylight,' and also declared that the electronic/radio instrumentation of his patrol cruiser was "shut down" by the object.

When did this happen?

The incident actually began before 12:01 a.m. in the early morning hours of Wednesday, December 14, 1994. Before midnight, the Trumbull County 9-1-1 center had already logged several UFO reports from residents near the Sampson Road vicinity. Curiously, UFOs were reported in the area the previous evening, as well as two weeks prior.

Where, exactly, did this occur?

In an area within Liberty Township, about 4-miles north of Youngstown, surrounded by Weathersfield Township to the west, Vienna Township to the north and Hubbard Township to the east. The happening occurred near and above the Youngstown Air Reserve Station, where public relations officers adamently deny the event ever transpired, despite the acquisition of 9-1-1 police dispatch tapes to the contrary.

How were the 9-1-1 tapes acquired?

Several telecommunicators at the Trumbull County 9-1-1 center read the 1996 report entitled: "The Trumbull County Disturbance: The Wrong Liberty," which appeared on the internet. Intruiged by this account, they researched the case and acquired a date of the event. Acting strictly as private citizens and not on behalf of the department, they retrieved the data from the audio tapes stored at the center. The original tapes were said to have been 'missing,' but a backup set was located in another storage area.

It can be demonstrated that police departments across Ohio and other states are more reluctant than ever to associate their departments or officers with alleged UFO occurrences, and understandably so. Those armed with the "badge of truth" do not usually relish their position as the 'middleman' between the U.S. Air Force and the UFO phenomenon.

"From my information, calls placed from police departments to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base are forwarded directly to secret offices at the air base that are solely responsible for monitoring the UFO situation," charges George Clappison, UFO researcher and investigator.

The Mystery Tattler

To bolster his contention, Clappison cites a 1995 source he identifies only as "a southern Ohio law enforcement official." After several confidential, tightly controlled meetings with his source, Clappison was informed that his contact had a UFO sighting while on-duty about ten years prior. His dispatch office then alerted the air base of the occurrence. The officer recalled that within days of the event, he was visited and questioned by several agents from the Cincinnati offices of the FBI.

The law enforcement official conveyed to Clappison his belief that the Air Force and various intelligence communities currently monitor and investigate the UFO situation, despite public denials. According to the opinion of the informant, the U.S. Air Force monitors and utilizes the vast resources of police dispatch centers for the collection of UFO reports.

UFO Reporting to WPAFB

Even when reporting a UFO directly to the Dayton, Ohio, air base, a phone receptionist taking the call will politely refer the caller to "report the incident to your local police department."

It is known that certain air emergency situations are held under the authority of the State Patrol for handling and disposition, and as the Air Force position illustrates, this authority also extends to the State Patrol for response and investigation of UFO reports.

One should also consider the curious existence of the strange "SIGNAL 50" code word utilized by The Ohio State Highway Patrol during radio communications to announce the observation of unknown aircraft.

Reporting Procedures & The LeCI Incident

A heated UFO incident at the Lebanon Correctional Institute occurred on April 8, 1993 in Warren County, Ohio, in which a glowing red object hovered for nearly three hours over a state penitentiary. The Warren County Sheriff's Department and the Ohio State Highway Patrol responded to the multiple witness event, and calls were placed by the dispatch office to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, requesting aircraft identification.

Wright-Pat denied having any experimental aircraft in the vicinity, and furthermore stated that they had no radar track of the unknown object, which, according to a statement given by Commander H. Lake of the adjacent Warren Correctional Institute, was "presented to the Warren County Sheriff's Department by his shift supervisor upon their arrival."

Despite denials by the LeCI or WCI prison offices and the Ohio Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation that any internal documentation of the event exists, H. Lake stated emphatically, "I don't know what they're talking about. A report does exist because I wrote the report myself."

Presently , public relations officials at Wright-Patt contend that they have no documentation available regarding any incoming calls from the Ohio State Highway Patrol regarding the April 8, 1993 UFO incident at LeCI. However, FOIA Manager Paul Cassidy stated that "if a phone call was indeed made to this base, there should be SOME kind of documentation SOMEWHERE, whether it be in the form of a log entry or scribbled notes."

To the contrary of WPAFB public relations department, O.S.P. log entries acquired by UFO investigators revealed that several calls were indeed placed to the Dayton, Ohio, air base. Dispatchers at the Ohio State Patrol and Warren County Sheriff's Office even confirmed that Wright-Patt had been alerted by utilizing a special, confidential phone number that gives them direct access to the high-tech air base. When asked for the number to be released to researchers, each respective office refused to disclose it, saying it was a restricted line, and not releasable to the public.

It can be said with certainty that this writer did hear and detect abnormal aircraft activity above the Cincinnati region in the form of jet engine sounds which were heard constantly from around 4:15 A.M. until daybreak on the night of the incident. The jet sounds were deep and powerful, unlike common air traffic heard frequently above Cincinnati. Not until the evening news later that day did this writer learn of the events at the Lebanon, Ohio, prison, upon which time the heavy droning sound of the jet noise was recalled.

Event From The Past...

There is a healthy historical precedent for UFO mix-ups between Ohio police agencies and UFOs, with the U.S. Air Force always having a distant and uncertain role in the drama.

Case in point: at 4:50 A.M. on April 17, 1966, two sheriffs deputies, Dale Spaur and Wilber L. Neff, were advised by the Portage County, Ohio, Dispatch Center to investigate a low-flying UFO reportedly headed in their direction. The twosome watched as the glowing object approached their position, illuminating the roadside.

"It's about fifty feet across, and I can just make out a dome or something on the top, but that's very dark," Spaur yelled into his microphone. "The bottom is real bright, it's putting out a beam of light that makes a big spot underneath. It was overhead a minute ago, and it was as bright as day here."

The dispatcher advised Spaur and Neff to keep the UFO in sight, as a car with camera equipment had been sent out. Soon, the twosome were racing along Route 14 at ninety miles per hour.

Other police officers soon joined the chase. Wayne Huston of East Palestine, Ohio, witnessed the UFO pass his location at more than 80 miles per hour, and also joined the chase. "It was a funny thing," he later said, "but when the object got too far ahead of us it appeared to stop and wait."

One police officer later recalled that he had seen two jet-fighter aircraft being followed by a bright object shaped like a football. The vehicular pursuit took multiple police officials on an eighty-five mile journey into Pennsylvania before the object allegedly shot off at great speed and disappeared.

Radar Operators at the Pittsburgh airport control tower advised the Conway Police Department that they had picked up the UFO on their radar screens, but later denied this.

Police chief Gerald Buchert of Mantua, Ohio, claimed that he photographed the object, but was told by the United States Air Force not to make the pictures public.

The official Air Force conclusion was that Spaur and the others had been chasing the planet Venus.

Months after the drama, Deputy Spaur was found in hiding by a reporter. Working as a painter, Spaur lived in poverty residing at a seedy motel. He had resigned from the police force, and had been divorced from his wife. "If I could change all that I have done in my life," he said, "I would change that night we chased that damned saucer."

Given the sad but true public belittlement of UFO witnesses by the Air Force, the news media and the debunking celebrities, it is understandable why police officials such as those involved in the LeCI Incident and the Portage pursuit are reluctant to talk about their full knowledge of these events.

Additional Data
YouTube 3 Part Video - UFO In Trumbull County Ohio 1994
Part 1     Part 2    Part 3